Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Staying Healthy in Nursing School


^Isn't that hilarious? Unfortunately, it is very true in nursing school :(

I have a confession. I love junk food. Gasp. I honestly find myself craving sweets, chocolates, cheeseburgers, and sodas so often that I get grossed out thinking about the nasty things I'm putting in my body. After all, I am in nursing school - I am being trained how to take care of sick people! If I am constantly chowing down, I won't be setting a good example for myself or my patients. Here are a few ways you can do to stay healthy while you're in school!

Join a gym or access your campus recreation center. Dream School does not have a gym but we do have a health center we can access for a discount. Also, they make us take one PE class during our four years… I think they should make us take one per semester myself, but to each their own! Through my work though I get an amazing discount to the local YMCA, which is such a blessing! To keep my awesome discount, I have to work out 3-4 times per week. Seriously, they will take away my membership or charge me more the less I go! That certainly gives me an incentive to go ;) I generally will read my textbooks while walking on the treadmill, riding the elliptical, or riding the bike. I go to spin class twice per week and lift weights too! Find a regimen that you like to do and stick to it.

Another important thing is to eat your vitamins! You likely won't have your mom badgering you to take them, so I'll do it instead! You should have learned or will learn in Nutrition class that Vitamins A, C, D, and E are crucial for maintaining your immune system. Vitamin A aids in the creation of white blood cells, the cells that help your body fight off viruses or bacteria. It can be found in vegetables and dairy products or you can take supplements. Vitamin C is in charge of producing neutrophils - more bacteria-fighting cells. Vitamin C is everywhere - fruits, vegetables, OJ, and some berries. Vitamin D is important for bones but also is a key to help express immune cells. It can be found in dairy products, the sunlight, fish, and supplements. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that prevents the formation of reactive oxygen molecules *deep breath* and regulates the immune system. Vitamin E can be found in eggs, vegetables, and some nuts.

Quick story here. A couple of years ago, right when I moved in with my husband, I found myself so fatigued day to day that I freaked out. I really had no idea what was causing all this sleepiness, but I would sleep for 12-15 hours per night and still feel the need to nap halfway through my afternoon. I went to the doctor, who then performed a whole slew of tests including TSH (to test my thyroid), CBC (to check for anemia), HCG (pregnancy), and my Vitamin D level. Everything came back normal except my Vitamin D level. Normal range for Vitamin D levels is 50-70 ng/mL (depending on the reference you're using) and mine were at 35. Yikes! No wonder I was so sleepy all the time. I started taking Vitamin D supplements and was fine within a few weeks.

Personally, I have a prescription for 2,000 IU of Vitamin D and take two different types of multivitamins per day - a Women's bone and metabolism gummy and an adult Vitamin B12/C gummy! I end up taking 3,800 IU of Vitamin D per day. The gummies I take are comparable in ingredients so I get more than enough of my daily value in the vitamin department.

Another way to stay healthy is to get your flu shot. My work and my school (which is at a hospital) both require the flu shot. However, I am allergic to the flu shot so I sign a declination form that shows I have a diagnosed allergy and is signed by my doctor. Therefore I wear a flu mask wherever I go during flu season. Yes it sucks and yes I get asked 24/7 why I am wearing the mask, but I haven't gotten sick once this year *knock on wood*.

By utilizing these few things, you are already on your way to being a healthy nurse! Keep up the great work!

No comments:

Post a Comment