Sunday, January 19, 2014

iPhone Apps

A few years ago, I purchased my first smart phone - an iPhone - and immediately fell in love. I had always been the owner of a "dumb phone" so I was set once I was able to have the internet at my fingertips. While I admit I am on my phone a little too much, there are plenty of perks to owning an iPhone. Over the last several months, I have been accumulating different (FREE!) apps that could potentially help me with Nursing School! Here is a list of what I've come up with so far. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to comment below and I'll look into it.


iTriage - It can be very frustrating at times to feel awful and not know the cause right off the bat. This app is good for everyone, not just nursing students. It can be used as a starting point when it comes to starting care plans and also has a medication database.

Resuscitation! - This is a virtual patient simulator where you get a case and have to diagnose and treat the patient. It is geared more towards medical students but I have lots of fun trying to figure out what orders are important. I've also learned a lot about different radiology imaging and lab tests. The app itself is free but to buy more cases, you have to pay a small fee. It gets fairly addicting, so be careful ;)

BlackBoard - Dream School does not use BlackBoard but my previous college did. I included this in the list because many people don't realize they have an iPhone app :) Notes, PowerPoints, and communication functions are readily available and you can even set push notifications to let you know when announcements and grades are posted.

Lippincott's NCLEX-RN Review - When I was doing research on what new nurses should do, I frequently read to start studying for the NCLEX the first semester. I only have this app for now until I learn more about different study books and which program is the better choice for the way I study best.

Figure 1 - Healthcare professionals use this photo-sharing app to learn and share their experiences. I have seen photos ranging from amazing to gross to how-are-they-even-alive. Best of all, there are editing options where you can crop or cross out any PHI to keep patients protected. Categories allow easy searching. I have learned so much from this app and seen many things that students don't get the chance to see during clinical.

Epocrates - I haven't messed around with this app too much but I have only heard good things.

8tracks - This music app contains user-submitted mixes rather than app-created playlists. You select what you are in the mood for to narrow down your options and I haven't really found a playlist that wasn't on point! For the time being, there aren't tons of ads either. I use this much more than Pandora, especially when I'm burning off stress at the gym. You can also go to their website on their computer to listen too!

Hippo Remote - Y'all, I can get really distracted sometimes. I love my laptop, but it's so easy to switch from PowerPoints and Bing to Facebook and Pinterest while studying. It got to the point where I would put my laptop on the coffee table, sit back on the couch, and use my toes to click through the PP. Seriously. I discovered this app that uses your iPhone as a clicker remote for PowerPoint so you can give presentations easier. I use it while studying! It's perfect in that I can't physically get distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment